[ncdnhc-discuss] Fwd: [nc-deletes] Minutes - Conference Call, November 15

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Fri Nov 22 21:45:42 CET 2002

Our dues for small organizations in the developed world are $50.
If ISOC-NY chapter is a "large" organization (1000+ members
and/or 200+ employees) the dues are $300.

The reason for the so-called "denial of voting rights" to ISOC
chapters (or ACM chapters, or different departments of the
same university, etc., etc.) should be evident. We do not
want basically the same organization to multiply itself
endlessly to gain an inordinate amount of votes.

However, since instituting membership fees this problem is
not as serious as it was when there was no membership fee
and one could join and gain voting rights merely by sending an
email application and avoiding objections. In fact, I have
proposed modifying the charter to permit independently
managed chapters to join with voting status upon payment
of the fee.

As you imply, our charter and website are not up to date.
The Stockholm modifications (June 2001) that instituted paying
membership have not been incorporated into the charter listed
on the web site. I have no control over this or I would fix it.
--MM

>>> <DannyYounger at cs.com> 11/22/02 01:57PM >>>
Hello Milton,

I understand that your current rules provide for non-voting status to such
chapters (this is one reason why the NY membership is not yet sold on the
idea of participation in the NCDNHC and has requested that I furnish them
with additional details -- the NY chapter was extremely vocal in its
opposition to the denial of voting rights to individuals within ISOC and
tends to look with disfavour upon organizations -- even its own parent
organization -- that don't accept all members on an equal basis).

Perhaps you could advise what the dues would be for non-voting chapters, as I
still can't find that information on your website, and if the policy
regarding such non-voting chapters is to be found within an ICANN-approved
Charter.