[ncdnhc-discuss] Fwd: [nc-deletes] Minutes - Conference Call, November 15

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Nov 20 14:41:55 CET 2002

Danny, thanks for your comments.

>Alejandro,
>
>The minutes of the November 15 teleconference of the Deletes Task Force
>indicate that with respect to Issue 1 (Uniform delete practice after domain
>name expiry by registrars), "It was generally agreed that it would be
>desirable for non-renewed domains to be consistently deleted by registrars
>within the 45 day auto-renew grace period."
>
>Having read that comment, I tend to wonder if TF participants are aware of
>the fact that not all registries currently support an auto-renew grace period

Yes we are aware. But as I'm not sure of details, I'll check and try
to get back to you.

>-- "The .name Registry Operator does not support an Auto-Renew Grace Period.
>Upon the expiration of the term of a domain name registration or SLD E-mail
>address registration, the registration is cancelled unless its term has been
>explicitly extended by the sponsoring registrar."
>http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/name/registry-agmt-appc-5-02jul01.htm
>
>This raises the question, is perhaps the .name approach a better way of
>attending to the issue?  I know that when it comes to matters such as my own
>driver's license, there is no grace period whatsoever... and there is no
>"confusion"... if I haven't renewed my license by the expiration date, my
>license to drive is instantly revoked.  The Department of Motor Vehicles
>sends out renewal notices sufficiently in advance of the expiration date (by
>regular postal mail) and I ignore such mail at my own peril.

But you get the same right to drive back once you remember and have
passed through whatever hoops the DMV may decide to impose.  Not
quite the same with names, where once deleted you will likely loose
it as someone else will have it. If you don't renew a driving
license, there's no cost to anyone during the time it takes you to
wake up to the fact that you can't (should not?) drive.  With names,
there isn't this cost free limbo, registrars are charged for names
during the auto-renew period.

There is also a much stronger expectation that driving licenses will
at some point need to be renewed, not clear that this is the case
with names.  More clarity as to the process at the time or
registration seems sensible.

>As I see it, the primary problem these days is that far too many registrars
>rely almost exclusively on e-mail correspondence to deal with renewals, and
>the community already is under siege from so much spam from both registrars
>and re-sellers that it is very easy to overlook a genuine renewal notice
>(which then leads to all these concerns over inadvertent deletions).  Perhaps
>as a matter of prudent policy we should require all registrars to send
>renewal notices by regular mail... as they don't seem to have any problem
>sending deceptive renewal notices by regular mail (slamming), they equally
>shouldn't have any complaints sending genuine renewal notices in such a
>manner.

I agree with you about confusing legitimate registrar reminders with
name related spam.  And postcard sent to a billing address might be
effective.  But possibly expensive, and given the very low margins
I'm not sure it would be something you could require of registrars.
All kinds of overheads with postal mail. And as one of the problems
is inaccurate registrant data, I'm not sure how much postal mail
would help.

Thanks,

Adam