[ncdnhc-discuss] Fwd: [nc-deletes] Minutes - Conference Call, November 15

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Nov 20 14:39:57 CET 2002

>Adam,
>
>it seems that your message on deletes has generated no response yet, which
>is somewhat disturbing.

Alejandro,

Not many comments -- but a couple privately, which is fine.

Lack of response is perhaps a mix of apathy (me too), and that it's
quite a complicated issue, tied to the very long running and even
more complicated WHOIS task force.  It's been going on so long I
expect many people just ignore the subject line (I tended too until
recently -- just not enough time in the day for reading about
processes that take 18 months or more.)

>Approving the "redemption and grace period" resolution was done thinking
>very much of the type of situation you describe: small organizations,
>maybe also fast turnover of people in charge, not a lot of
>technical/managerial skills available, overload.

Exactly.  I hope this will be an adequate catch-all for smaller organizations.

>Now, the lack of response to your call for expressions seems to underline
>that either the problem is insoluble, the non-commercial organizations
>here have their domain names under ccTLDs which are a lot more friendly
>than the registries and registrars for gTLDs, the representatives of these
>organizations in the constituency are actually not involved with domain
>names except theoretically, or a combination.

I have received a couple of responses, and they are helpful.  But I
think you've hit on some important questions.  And I'd add that as a
group we seem very jaded (as with apathy, me too.)

>For YOUR organizations, fellow constituency members, how important is the
>deletes issue? What impact would you receive from the loss of a domain
>name through carelessness, the fact that the admin or other contacts are
>not valid, etc.?

The issue that bothers me is WHOIS accuracy.  I have no idea if a
name like glocom.org (which is registered to me) could be deleted as
a result of some illegitimate challenge that I wouldn't have any idea
about until too late (too late = when I hear a colleague raving that
the site won't resolve. ) I travel a lot, and often I won't check my
answer phone, see fax or email (to the email address listed in the
name record) for weeks.  Others have other reasons for not seeing
correspondence during this very short time span.

As I think one of the reasons for the deletes task force is to bring
uniformity to delete practice, I think having an auto-renew period of
up to 45 days followed by redemption grace, should be applied to all
deletes, whether for WHOIS accuracy (however the WHOIS Task Force
finally defines this) or the result of usual expiry.  That is, the
instruction to delete a name for WHOIS inaccuracy would be in effect
the same as reaching expiry date, and the same process would follow
from what would be delete day 1.  I could envisage exceptions, such
as for blatant fraud in WHOIS data (but defining "blatant" might not
be easy - unless it were a court?) etc.  But generally, the average
registrant should be able to expect consistent treatment.

>And in consequence, can we help answer Adam's questions?
>
>Also. Given the risk of losing valuable domain names, what policies are
>best practice internally? Like, do you check that the contact information
>is well known to your leaders/managers, and is changed when the contacts
>leave your organizations? What else that we learn in some of our
>organizations is applicable to others?

This is why I suggested to begin with better information at the time
of registration (see point 1 below.) I think registrants need to
better understand the name registration process, or they will tend
not to have adequate internal practises. Consumer education.

Many thanks,

Adam

[minutes deleted]