[ncdnhc-discuss] UDRP Revision??

Chun Eung Hwi ehchun at peacenet.or.kr
Mon Nov 4 04:20:55 CET 2002

Dear all ncdnhc members,

I think this is good starting point to reflect our own mission in ICANN.

In my memory, for last a few years, one of the main concerns in our
constituency was to get the balanced decision making process in ICANN
structure. All those issues like at large director issues and DNSO review
had become our major concerns and repeatedly made hot debates in this
list. And the common ground on which list members and others are sharing
disappointed and frstrating mind is the the present board had decided and
will go toward in completely different and quite opposite direction. One
of very strange things that people are thinking is that then they are
still using the word like "community consensus".

Then, I hope to say that there are very clear and important issues out
there. Recently, those issues are goint at the last stage for final
decision.  Already, in last Names Council meeting, two interim reports had
been discussed. One is to do with "Transfer guideline" and the other is
"Whois recommendations" Additionally, last week, we had again met the
announcement of Stuart Lynn for new gTLDs selection plan - possibly
sponsored. And as just Milton said, UDRP review TF didn't make any
progress in their discussion.

All these issues are closely related with general internet users' concerns
as well as consumers' issues. Nevertheless, as a non-commercial group, our
constituency doesn't play more positive role than before. The problem is
that without our more positive participation in those policy making
process, all those policies are being directed by commercial interest
groups. I think that we should consider how to do these practical policy
issues at hand.  Or if we think that the present DNSO/GNSO structure is to
be completely denied because of its too unbalanced structure, we should
decide to decline from the present structure and finally from ICANN. One
problem I feel is that we have not yet taking any specific position at
this moment.

In last Shanghai meeting, all participants looked at that the reform
process is going for very uncertain situation. Reform process seems to go
towards the unexpected direction. RIRs decided to be more independent out
of ICANN.  (Refer to
http://www.icann.org/committees/evol-reform/joint-rir-blueprint-09oct02.htm)
And ccTLD community also endorsed that and decided to take the similar
direction. (Refer to
http://www.icann-ncc.org/pipermail/discuss/2002-October/003022.html) Quite
opposite from Stuart Lynn's original proposal, ICANN is truly being
decentralized regardless of whether it is good or bad. If this stream is
to continue, ICANN may definitely reduce to GNSO.  In last board meeting,
one of the sensitive issues was what is to be right place of ASO in the
new Bylaw. But in case of ccTLD community, they declined from DNSO and
never applied for ccSO. So, ccTLD community has no legal status in Bylaw
at all.  Still uncertain as the situation is, considering this change, we
should take into account what could be our mission.

Regards,

Chun Eung Hwi

Chun Eung Hwi
General Secretary, PeaceNet | phone:     (+82) 2- 2166-2216
Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82) 019-259-2667
Seoul, 158-600, Korea       | eMail:   ehchun at peacenet.or.kr