[ncdnhc-discuss] Board retreats and fully transparent process for ICANN

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Tue May 28 21:19:41 CEST 2002

I might add that we have very similar rules here in Florida, known as the
"Government in the Sunshine" laws.

A number of county legislators were fined a few years ago for
participating in a lunch and a conference call during which matters
pertaining to their duties were discussed.  "The law, in essence, is
applicable to any gathering, whether formal or casual, of two or more
members of the same board or commission to discuss some matter on which
foreseeable action will be taken by the public board or commission. There
is no requirement that a quorum be present for a meeting to be covered
under the law. "  http://legal.firn.edu/sunshine/faq.html

In practice the fines are just a few hundred dollars, but it makes for
ugly headlines.

The idea that the full city or county commission could have a
'retreat' to talk business, even if no formal decisions were made, is
simply inconceivable here.

However, I think the central issue here is a different one from the
question of technicalities. The ICANN Board wishes us to take a great deal
on faith - they are about to unveil a revised structure in which the key
power center will be a nominating committee that the staff/board will
select.  If this is how they implement their **self-imposed** obligation
of maximal transparency, we have a right -- even a duty -- to say, "sorry,
you have forfeited our trust".