[ncdnhc-discuss] The way forward with board CoI on .org

jefsey jefsey at club-internet.fr
Fri May 24 02:31:18 CEST 2002

Dear Hendrik,
this is certainly a very good post. Full of clear point and interests. And
the questions are of real importance.  I just want to add two "small" points.

1. the honesty climate at the BoD. Two years ago for the new TLDs, several
Directors stepped down? Recently if I am right Amadeau also did. In this
case four directors should have *before the discussion* (the discussion is
of no real interest). Rob has been highlighted, all the more he is the COI
comity Chair. And the three others you quote? I find this worrying: this
people know they are wrong, they know we know, they continue to vote or
discuss the ICANN reform as if nothing had occurred. What I want to
underline - as you may not feel that in the USA - more and more people
laugh when talking of the ICANN financial "oddities", gov, press, bosses.
You cannot talk about the ICANN now in a meeting or on a phone call without
talking of them.  Mainly what people are interested in is: which will be
the first in jail. More than anything else it has killed the ICANN.

2. the involved money. When outsourcing .org  VRSN is to pay $M5 to the new
Register if a non-profit. Plus the money it collected in advance renewals.
The later being forgotten everywhere. I suppose that if the Registry is
non-profit it will claim every revenue it can grab and will not abandon the
collected money. If it is a for-profit, one can negotiate. If it is VRSN it
is obviously better.

Now let imagine than Plan C is status quo. For .org and for .net. Try to
imagine the scenario you should organize, and tell me if they would really
be that different from what we see.

Please remember that for .org only there are M$ 10+ at stake plus M$ 18 per
annum.
jfc