[ncdnhc-discuss] Board conflict of interest on .org

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu May 23 08:11:29 CEST 2002

At 01:09 PM 5/22/2002 -0400, t byfield wrote:
>let us be clear that, try as you might, the nature and details of
>milton's original posting are not at issue.

In fact they are the only things seriously at issue.

Milton claimed misbehavior for which there is no evidence.

Milton claimed actions that did not take place.

Milton claimed facts that are quite simply false.

Rob's role in the Board discussions were not even interesting enough to
call mundane.  Most significantly, the board vote was unanimous.

So he didn't say much and his vote was not decisive.

Further Lynn does not have a continuing relationship with NeuLevel. This
makes concerns over the future moot, contrary to Milton's premature demand
that Rob recuse himself.

>  rather, what's at is-
>sue is the relation between an ICANN boardmember's actions,

Rob's actions were clearly irrelevant to the vote in question.  And his
statements were no different from what any responsible person who is
experienced with Internet operations scaling issues would have -- and have
-- said.

>two of the three strident NCDNHC opponents of an inquiry receive
>checks from ICANN. one of them, a boardmember, came rushing out of
>the gate with a blanket vindication of his board colleague, and
>has since insinuated that a hidden agenda motivates these concerns.

What the heck.  Rather than just impugn the integrity of one stellar
personality, why not go for three?  Thanks for improving the quality of
discourse so effectively.

>not that it's all that important, i would be happy to have my con-
>cerns laid to rest. but i certainly won't accept your, kent's, or
>alejandro's assurances that everything is in order

The nice thing about facts is that they are not affected by their source.

It does not matter who puts the facts forward.

It does not matter what you think of the people putting the facts forward.

The facts are the facts.

In this case, the facts show that the only thing significant about Rob's
actions is that Milton chose to attack them.

So as I said, the only real issue, here, is Milton's again acting
scurrilously and, amazingly, his being taken seriously by anyone.

d/