[ncdnhc-discuss] Board conflict of interest on .org

Jonathan Weinberg weinberg at mail.msen.com
Fri May 17 15:57:46 CEST 2002

Alejandro,

         This is my understanding of the proper process once a COI
allegation is made regarding a director, based on the rules I described
below (the *process* has nothing to do with Rob personally, or for that
matter Milton).  The first step is to figure out which of two classes of
cases the facts present.  The first class covers cases where no reasonable
person could think that the director or his family has a "financial
interest" (as defined by the rules, below) in a matter before ICANN, and
that the financial interest is "material".  In that situation, the
allegation should be dropped.    The second class covers cases in which a
reasonable person *could* think that the director or his family has a
"material" "financial interest" in the matter.  In that case, the director
should place the matter before the Conflicts Committee (or, if he is
himself a member, the disinterested members of that committee) for their
judgment as to whether a conflict of interest exists.  All of this can be
carried out in a manner respectful of both people and rules.

         In this case, it seems plain that Rob has a "financial interest,"
as defined by the rules, in ICANN decisions directly affecting
Neulevel.  Barring unexpected factual developments (all I really know is
that Lynn identified herself as a Neulevel employee at recent RIPE and
ICANN meetings), it seems to me, further, that the interest is material.  I
can imagine, OTOH, a person arguing that that the interest is *not*
"material."  So long as reasonable people can differ, the director should
place the matter before the disinterested members of the conflicts
committee for their judgment.  At the moment, the committee has only one
other member (Karl), since Phil Davidson left the Board and hasn't been
replaced on the committee.  It would be appropriate for the Board to name a
new member to replace Phil, so that the committee can be at full strength.

Jon

Jonathan Weinberg
Professor of Law, Wayne State University
weinberg at msen.com