[ALSC-Forum] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] The Nominating Committee

jefsey jefsey at club-internet.fr
Fri May 10 11:22:30 CEST 2002

Dear Jeff,
the ICANN staff is doing the same thing ...
as the DoC is doing with the ICANN and Govs
as Joop and others are doing with Vittorio and other @large
as Denise is doing with Joop, Thomas and icannatlarge.com
as BoD is doing with NC
as Marilyn is doing with the BC
as the NC is doing with everyone
as Thomas is doing with the GA

keeping them talking about what they should have told them themselves,

so they save time, preserve statu quo, may steal an idea or two to show
"above" they worked hard on the matter and make sure that the one who got
the idea and knows what to do will never show up.

Only Stuart was galant enough to spek up on behalf of the Member. That is
life.

But sometimes in the life you are circumvented. You can fool people on few
matters but you cannot fool everyone on everything. The ICANNs problem is
territory creep: because they see that they have to address too many topics
(the mission creep is in part legitimate, but mostly due to the way they
addressed the key ones) they think that they should address them for everyone.

Too bad. Instead of explaining what they do internally, they should have
explained what they are useful for externally. What they think should be
provided, which is not. They think as a bureaucratic lawyer firm, not as a
network service provider.

Too bad, and I do not really see who could help them understand and lead
them. I still hope Vint could. May be the guy who managed the LA Olympic
Games?

Jefsey

PS. I would not discriminate among BoD Members. Let imagine you would be
one of them, what would you actually say/do. The structure's mechanic makes
it very complex. ICANN is a single member corporation and we all know who
the  Member is. Their real problem is that a part from Vint, Alejandro and
Karl and only a few times Andy and in the past Stuart, who is talking? Who
does accept to show if he/she has ideas by his/her own and to validate them
with the real world. On the GA or in the press?