[ncdnhc-discuss] Internet is global=we need central planning

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Sat May 4 01:59:56 CEST 2002

At 03:13 PM 5/3/2002 -0400, James Love wrote:
>    I have a lot of respect for people who can figure out the details,

James, then please explain why you so forcefully reject responses from such
folk when you do not like the response.

>  and I
>have confidence that decision makes should know how much detail to focus on
>at any given time.    I could fully specify 18 different ways of resolving
>uniqueness over TLD strings,

Then do it.

I have requested this of you repeatedly.

Instead you ignore the request and pretend that the details are not
important to the adoption of a major change to DNS administration.

>from first come first service to UDRP type
>ADRs, to systems that blocked dictionary names but not none dictionary
>names,

That you would suggest that this is a viable alternatives shows just how
simplistic a model you are working with.  It utterly ignores real-world
implications that make such an alternative useful only as an academic exercise.

>My preferred system is to have DNSO 1, the current one, and have new DNSO's
>self organize for regions (such as for example Europe, one possibly for
>spanish speaking countries, one for Africa, one for the Indian subcontient,
>etc),

What is the advantage of "regional" DNSO's?  What is there in the history
of the current DNSO that provides any basis for believing that it and its
clones could work successfully.

d/