[ncdnhc-discuss] Internet is global=we need central planning

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri May 3 12:29:14 CEST 2002

At 03:46 AM 5/2/2002 -0400, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
>On Wed, 1 May 2002, Alejandro Pisanty - DGSCA y FQ, UNAM wrote:
> > I am saying that there has to be central coordination to ensure uniqueness
> > of identifiers, and policies to ensure stability (you don't want a sudden
>
>I think that data escrow and a host-of-last-resort policy meets this need.

Data escrow has nothing to do with ensuring uniqueness.

Data escrow is relevant to stability only with respect to registry or
registrar failure.

However stability involves a broader range of concerns than the simple
occurrence of a registration operation going out of business.

In other words, one of the requirements in these discussions is avoiding
the temptation to trivialize the tasks to be done.

In theory, flying is easy.  In practise it isn't.  That difference between
theory and practise applies to most of life.  DNS administration is one of
them.

> > void to appear in namespace). That makes it very hard for, say, a govt to
> > go on its own establishing a gTLD, without some agreements as to how it
>
>STrange, they have all these bombs and things, and we don't make them sign
>agreements with ICANN about those....

arguing ad absurdum seems to be popular this week.  unfortunately the main
effect of that approach is to imply that the person offering the argument
is absurd.

In other words, your comment had nothing at all to do with the topic at
hand.  Or perhaps you simply are missing the inherent differences between a
coordinated global resource, versus uncoordinated, independent activities?

> > will operate. You can maybe envision an ICANN-less world, in which these
> > agreements are made on a peer-to-peer basis, but I find it unrealistic for
>
>No. The idea is 1) that there exists commercial and other incentives that
>will tend to police this well;

invoking the religious mantra of presumed competition does not constitute a
demonstration of procedural adequacy.  Provide the concrete detail of how
things would work and your view will, by definition, have more substance.

If you develop the detail diligently, you will also discover that it is not
practical.

>On the contrary.  The fear on instability means we must decentralize as
>much as humanly possible to minimize the effects of errors.

Decentralization increases stability for some things.  It decreases it for
others.  Paying attention to which things benefit and which things suffer
is part of doing a responsible job.

>[Note: I killfile Cr*cker, Kr*spin, JW*lliams]

Isn't it interesting that you are so proud of something you should be
ashamed of?

d/