[ncdnhc-discuss] Proposed NCC resolution on ICANN reform

jefsey jefsey at club-internet.fr
Thu May 2 18:13:53 CEST 2002

On 17:19 02/05/02, James Love said:
>My proposed resolution is:
>
>"Resolved, that the NCDNHC ask the Committee on ICANN Reform and Evolution
>to determine which functions relating to the authorization and oversight of
>new top level domains can be decentralized, and that proposal for such
>decentralization be considered, in order to avoid excessive centralization
>of Internet decision making. "

Dear Jamie,
by essence the ICANN is a centralized body managnig the LegacyNet. It has a
delegated authority over the non-gov USG share in the Internet system, it
purchased from the USG for less than $ 10.000.

What you discuss are decisions by independent third parties which will lead
the ICANN to decide or not to list them into their root file. The question
is not to know if I am authorized to create a TLD. The question is to know
if the users and the Govs will give enough support to my TLDs, of if I may
be a nuisance enough; for the ICANN to be obliged to accept them in their
root, to make believe we are in agreement and not to down grade its image
and root coverage.

The problem is simple. It is a competition between the ICANN and the rest
of the world. What the ICANN may still offer are:
- their make believe protecting their root image and usage,
- the SOs as existing concertation  platforms. ASO is questionned by the
RIRs. PSO is of no real use right now and DNSO is endangered by the NC
attitude, ICP-3 and stubborn attitudes like Dave's and Kents. The only
interesting value of the DNSO today is the link you have known to establish
with ths ITU/T; which may help establishing a proper MoU with them.

Has the ICANN the leadership in the discussion? I do not think so:

1) ICANN has put itself in a very weak situation in calling on Govs.

2) ITU/T may help in freeing the world from the ICANN - but it may be more
difficult afterward to free the world from the ITU/T ("the King of
Ireland's call to the King of England").

3) the real ICANN partners are the ccTLD, the USG for edu/mil/gov, New.net,
Open Roots, Intlnet, Minc, iDNS, etc.. However, ICANN ostracized them so
much that when the ICANN would need them, they are not organized and not
realy excited about joining forces.

Before talking about future TLDs, ICANN should first consider its immediate
possible allies.
jfc