[ncdnhc-discuss] Internet is global=we need central planning

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Thu May 2 14:04:24 CEST 2002

Alejandro,  I have conceded the uniqueness issue a million times on this
list, and in our formal comments.  The fact that you responded as if I
didn't see a role for ICANN on this issue means to me that you are paying
zero attention.   I'm astonished, really, that we have having this
conversation.   For the billionth time, I concede ICANN needs to make *SOME*
decisions.  Lets repeat, *SOME* decisions.  Uniqueness, UDRP, whois,
whatever.  Is THIS CLEAR?   What I am asking is does ICANN have to make
EVERY DECISION, or can some of this be decentralized?   Can my own
government, or the French government, or the Mexican government, authorize
some local business or non-profit to run a registry, subject to the registry
meeting whatever GLOBAL coordination that is TRULY NEEDED at the ICANN
level.    Could the DNSO set up REGIONAL bodies to authorize new TLDS, so
the ICANN board only has to deal with GLOBAL coordination issues (like is
done now for numbering).  Is it conceivable (from a practical point of view)
that the ICANN board will seek to coordinate policy on new TLDS, not manage
even minor details of the global registry business, as it does now.     I'm
shouting, but what will it take to have a good faith conversation about
this?

  Jamie