[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN Reform: Role of ITU

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Wed May 1 22:17:20 CEST 2002

I appreciate Milton's comments below, and also the many postings by others
on this topic.  The fact that there is widespread opposition to ITU having a
role in ICANN related issues is clear.  I would, however, like to clarify
what I have been addressing.  ITU made a narrow proposal, *not to take over
ICANN*, but to participate in a discussion over the boundaries of ICANN's
policy making.   It was this narrow proposal that I found interesting.  Note
also that already WIPO has engaged ICANN in a topic that WIPO finds
interesting, the ADR for trademarks and domain names.  In the ITU case, the
outcome seemed more likely to limit ICANN's policy making than was the case
in the WIPO consultation.

The notion that ICANN will have internal brakes against inappropriate policy
making is appealing, but I think shattered by the Lynn proposal.  It is
possible that Alejandro, Vint and others will listen to the outpouring of
criticism against the Lynn proposal, and offer something much different, but
at this point I don't think it is obvious that the board finds itself in
fundamental disagreement with Lynn/McLaughlin/Touton etc.  Nor has the US
DOC shown much interest in acting as tough as some members of the US
Congress.

ITU may not be the best body to limit ICANN's power.  But I would like to
hear some alternatives *other than* self restraint (which of course we all
hope for).  I asked if the GAC should have a formal terms of reference for
ICANN.  I did not get any comment on that proposal.

Jamie