[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN Reform: Role of ITU

Hill, Richard richard.hill at itu.int
Wed May 1 14:44:15 CEST 2002

Marc Schneiders stated "The ITU is made up of Telco's. Telco's are
receiving, and will receive, more and more, competition from 'the internet'
as a carrier for voice data."
Telcos are, by regulation (if my memory is correct, but I may be wrong),
prevented from offering certain types of data services in the USA, but this
is not the case elsewhere in the world.  In Europe, telcos are major ISPs
and use the Internet both to offer services and as a carrier for voice data.
ITU's membership today includes Internet companies such as Cisco, Sun, AOL
Time Warner, European ISPs, etc.  You can see the full list of members at:

http://www.itu.int/cgi-bin/htsh/mm/scripts/mm.list?_search=SEC&_languageid=1

Internet because in the past it tried to block the development of the
Internet in order to protect local phone monopolies",  I would reply,
speaking purely personally: (1) I wish we could stop talking about what may
have happened 15 years ago and focus on the future and (2) whatever ITU may
have done 15 years ago was, I think, a reflection of government policies at
the time, which, at the time, were thought to serve the public interest.
Best,
Richard

Richard Hill
Counsellor, SG2