[ncdnhc-discuss] Canada elects Internet Registration Authority

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Mon May 13 21:49:38 CEST 2002

I have three items here.  My random-bits post on the Canadian CIRA election,
a CIRA press release about the election, and Michael Geist's excellent
candidate statement for the current election.

-----Canada elects Internet Registration Authority--

http://www.cira.ca/en/about_ca.html

While the ICANN board of directors debates whether or not it can trust
anyone but itself to elect its board members, in Canada the DNS policy
decisions are decidely democratic.  The Canadian Internet Registration
Authority (CIRA) is a not for profit Canadian corporation that is
responsible for operating the dot-ca Internet country code Top Level Domain
(ccTLD).  It has a 13 member board of directors.   Nine are elected by the
dot-ca domain holders  -- each dot-ca domain holder gets one vote (no matter
how many domains they own).   There are three additional voting directors
appointed, one each to represent commercial and non-commerical users, one to
represent registrars, and finally one non-voting member appointed by the
Canadian government.

The CIRA has a nominating committee for new board seats, but also allows
anyone to be nominated who can receive at least 50 endorsements.  There is
an election right now for 3 of the 9 members elected by the domain holders.
http://www.cira.ca/en/elections-2002.html

Several members of the CIRA are well known, including elected member
Professor Michael Geist from the University of Ottawa, and PIAC's appointed
member Pippa Lawson.  Ironically, Jonathan Cohen was recently appointed to
fill the seat of someone who resigned, as a runner up on the last election.
Jonathan Cohn is also a member of the ICANN board, which voted to
get rid of at large elections.

  Jamie

http://www.cira.ca/news-releases/68.html
-------------------------
    2002/04/05
DOT-CA DOMAIN NAME HOLDERS INVITED TO NOMINATE CANDIDATES FOR ELECTION TO
CIRA'S BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Online election puts Canada's Internet name-space at the forefront of
Internet governance.

April 5, 2002 - The Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) invites
dot-ca domain name holders to nominate candidates for the upcoming Board of
Directors' elections. The nomination period begins today at 12:00 noon (EST)
and closes at (20:00 EDT) on May 8, 2002.

To put forward nominations, dot-ca domain name holders must be CIRA members
and complete the online nomination form available at
www.cira.ca/en/elections-2002.html. CIRA membership is open to all dot-ca
domain name holders. Once nominated, a candidate must have the support of at
least 50 other CIRA members to be listed on the final ballot. CIRA members
can show their support for nominated candidates through
www.cira.ca/en/elections-2002-support.html

The final ballot will also include six candidates selected by the CIRA
Nominations Committee through an open public nomination process. Information
on these six candidates is available at http://www.cira.ca/cira/election.

The election will be held from June 7, 2002 (12:00 noon EDT) to June 13,
2002 (20:00 EDT) through CIRA's web site. The three candidates garnering the
most votes will fill three of the 12 Board seats for a period of three
years. Additional information on the elections is available at: www.cira.ca.

ABOUT CIRA
CIRA is the not-for-profit organization mandated to operate the dot-ca
top-level domain for all Canadians. It is responsible for setting policy and
managing the dot-ca domain database as well as registering domain names
through its network of certified registrars.

NOTE TO REPORTERS
Canada's name space on the Internet continues to grow in popularity. A poll
conducted for CIRA by The Strategic Counsel (December 2001) revealed that
Canadians generally prefer visiting dot-ca websites over dot-com websites
because they know dot-ca means Canadian. As of March 27, 2002, approximately
280,000 dot-ca domain names were registered with CIRA-up from 60,000
(December 2000). Additional information on Canadian Internet users
preferences with respect to domain names is available at
www.cira.ca/news-releases/55.html.

-30-

Media Inquiries:
Gabriel Ahad, Director of Communications
613-237-0300 (ext. 235), gabriel.ahad at cira.ca

===============================

http://www.cira.ca/cira/election?FN=PUB_VIEW_CAN_STMT&cand_id=423455&first_n
ame=Michael&middle_name=&last_name=Geist&lang=en&status=CNB

Candidate:
Geist, Michael

Statement:
I am a law professor at the University of Ottawa specializing in Internet
and e-commerce law and Director of E-Commerce Law with the Toronto law firm
of Goodmans LLP. I have obtained a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) degree from
Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto, Master of Laws (LL.M.) degrees from
Cambridge University in the UK and Columbia Law School in New York, and a
Doctorate in Law (J.S.D.) from Columbia Law School. I have written numerous
academic articles and government reports on the Internet and law, I am a
national columnist on cyberlaw issues for the Globe and Mail, the creator
and consulting editor of BNA's Internet Law News, a daily Internet law news
service, editor of the monthly newsletter, Internet and E-commerce Law in
Canada (Butterworths), on the advisory boards of several leading Internet
law publications as well as the author of the textbook Internet Law in
Canada (Captus Press). I also serve on the advisory boards of several
technology companies including Watchfire and NetGeo. I am regularly quoted
in the national and international media on Internet law issues and have
appeared before government committees on e-commerce policy. More information
on my credentials can be obtained at my Web site at www.lawbytes.ca.

My Work on the CIRA Board

I have served on the CIRA board since July 2001, when I was one of nine
directors elected as part of the organization's first online election. Over
the past year, I have worked diligently to represent the interests of
individual Internet users on the board. In particular, I have played an
active role in:

· The development of the Canadian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy
(CDRP), the Canadian equivalent of the ICANN UDRP. With my full support, the
Canadian version has incorporated the benefits of the ICANN version, while
addressing some of its shortcomings. The CDRP includes greater protections
for free speech, a balanced approach to the selection of arbitrators, and
the prospect of financial compensation for domain name registrants subjected
to abusive dispute resolution claims.

· The promotion of CIRA and the dot-ca. I was a speaker at the 2001 CIRA
annual general meeting in Toronto and I have written in support of the
dot-ca in my regular Globe and Mail column.

· Ensuring greater transparency and board accountability. I have supported
full disclosure of all relevant CIRA financial documentation and the
creation of a public forum to solicit input from all Canadians on domain
name issues.

· Maintaining the financial stablility of CIRA. I have regularly voted in
support of measures designed to grow the dot-ca domain, while ensuring that
cost reductions in the price of dot-ca domains benefit both registrars and
registrants.

Looking to the Future of the Dot-ca

Under the current CIRA board, I believe the dot-ca has made significant
strides with regard to accessibility, visibility, and modernity. The dot-ca
is quickly becoming a common and much-desired domain with Canadians
increasingly recognizing the value that owning a dot-ca may bring. While
there has been substantial progress, there is still much work to be done. If
re-elected to the board I will continue to work on a range of issues of
importance to all stakeholders including registrars, registrants, trademark
holders, and individual Canadians. These issues include:

1. Implementation of the CDRP. While I believe CIRA has crafted a balanced
domain name dispute resolution policy that addresses clear-cut cases of
cybersquatting but protects legitimate free speech considerations, the
policy has yet to be implemented. If re-elected, I will focus on the
implementation issues by ensuring that dispute resolution providers maintain
an appropriately balanced approach to domain name dispute resolution.

2. Addressing the role of CIRA within ICANN. Over the past few months, the
world has witnessed significant upheaval at the international level as
ICANN, the non-profit body responsible for the administration of the domain
name system, has begun to pursue a path of institutional reform. This reform
will undoubtedly have a major impact on CIRA as Canada may be pressured into
supporting a redesigned ICANN both contractually and financially. If
re-elected, I will not support any agreement with ICANN unless Canadian
interests are adequately protected. I believe that ICANN must represent the
interests of all stakeholders by ensuring that there are appropriate levels
of accountability and public participation. Without such assurances, CIRA
should be wary of entering into any permanent obligations with ICANN.

3. Promoting the Dot-ca Brand. The CIRA Board has prioritized marketing the
dot-ca and I will support a continuation of that approach. While the dot-ca
has grown remarkably over the past 16 months, there is clearly scope for
more, particularly when the size of the dot-ca is contrasted with other
country-code top level domains. Surveys have shown that Canadians respond
favourably to the dot-ca. If re-elected, I will ensure that CIRA works with
the registrar community to effectively promote the use of the dot-ca in
Canada.

4. Instilling confidence in the Dot-ca. During the past year, questions have
been raised about the use of the CIRA WHOIS database for questionable
marketing practices, registrar reseller programs, and the contractual
practices of some registrars. The promotion of the dot-ca requires more than
effective advertisements and branding; it demands user confidence in the
registration and ongoing service process. The board's approach to the
registrar reseller issue, in which it sought input from all stakeholders
through a public consultation process, provides a template for addressing
future issues. If re-elected, I will actively support initiatives aimed at
increasing public confidence in the dot-ca including assessments of current
registration practices and regulations.

This is an exciting time for the dot-ca. If re-elected to the board, I will
work to ensure that the domain grows in an equitable and fair manner for
all.

James Love mailto:james.love at cptech.org
http://www.cptech.org +1.202.387.8030 mobile +1.202.361.3040

James Love mailto:james.love at cptech.org