[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN Reform: Role of ITU

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Wed May 1 00:01:07 CEST 2002

Dear all,
as usual Dave is right, as Jeff Williams also is. We just do not work
enough on their remarks.

On 22:46 30/04/02, Dave Crocker said:
>This line of thinking continues to ignore two, fundamental constraints:
>1.  The hierarchical nature of the DNS requires a single, logical control
>over allocation/assignment policy.  Any effort to "devolve and share
>power" must be designed in a way that is compatible with this technical
>constraint.  However no proposal for this has been put forward to permit
>honest, diligent analysis of its operational feasibility.

Let assume that the DNS is just that. A 1984 COBOL like hierarchical
database permitting to translate an IP addresses into alphas. It can
support 256 TLDs, 65,536 SLDs and 16,777,216 3LDs, etc... I do suggest we
leave that old system rest in peace with Dave as a warden and Lynn as a
worshipper to make sure no one is going to harm such an antique testimony
of Postel's days.

And that we develop a Modern Internet Name Extended System (MINES) as a DNS
compatible replacement. I gave a 5 minutes to it. I think we could
implement it in a few days, with a good financial return. If any one has $
20.000 to spare (for development and deployment costs) please send me a
private mail and an NDA (this is a very serious offer, thank you Dave, you
welcome if you want to take advantage from the offer). I bet you it will
work, very quick. So we may leave the ICANN and Verisign rest in peace.

>2.  The ability to reach consensus about things is not much better at the
>regional level than it is at the global level.  For one thing, the
>construct of a "region" is often quite artificial.  For another, members
>of a region often have widely disparate needs and goals.  Again, any
>proposal for devolution and sharing of power needs to attend to this core
>fact of life.

This is absolutely true. I really wander why Jamie wants regions? Is that
related to ".eu"? The granularity on the Internet is the individual user.
This is why the system will end up with millions TLDs.
jfc