[ncdnhc-discuss] Committee on ICANN Evolution and Reform Seeks PublicSubmissions

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Fri Mar 29 00:35:41 CET 2002

Barbara:
I agree that we should publicly "express dismay" at
the Lynn proposal, and also develop and elaborate
constructive alternatives. The question is how we
express it and to whom we express it!

Perhaps my message was misinterpreted. I am not asking us
to remain silent. I am simply warning us not to view the Board's
committee as the primary vehicle for discussing this issue
and for forging a consensus position.

The ICANN process has broken. ICANN's management and
Board have created so much uncertainty and arbitrariness
about how things will be done, what methods will be used,
whose support counts and whose doesn't that one would
have to be quite foolish to treat Alejandro's committee
as if it were an arena in which we could forge a consensus.

Of course, our NC representatives should maintain active
dialogue with other constituencies through the DNSO
committee. They should also liaise with GA members.
The DNSO still has some value as a place for the exchange
of views.

But the arena for forging a consensus position has moved
outside of ICANN. And that is only fitting and just, because
ICANN's mgmt and Board have repeatedly shown that they
would rather make up processes as they go along rather
than rely upon the policy making structures emodied in its
own bylaws. And since forging a consensus is hard
work (something Alejandro may not appreciate because
he has never really had to do it), we should not waste
effort petitioning a top-down Board committee, but rather
create political pressure from outside ICANN.

>>> Barbara Simons <simons at acm.org> 03/28/02 02:09PM >>>
Milton,
I'm not sure I agree with you.  While it's obvious that
ICANN couldn't care less about what the user community
thinks, it might be useful to have many folks expressing
dismay at the blatant power grab that we have just witnessed.
The wider political forces to which you refer are more likely
to pay attention if many voices are heard in opposition.
Barbara