[ncdnhc-discuss] HP/Compaq vote and .org reassignment

Jim Fleming jfleming at anet.com
Fri Mar 22 17:31:58 CET 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard J. Sexton" <richard at vrx.net>

> One way to do this might be to put a TXT record in the zone file.
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> mbz.org.                2D IN TXT       "I vote for xxx to run .org"

Along a similar line, people will now start adding AAAA records for their nameservers.
This will move them to 128-bit DNS. Depending on what addressing plan they select,
they will either fall prey to the I* society's IPv6, or stick with IPv4, IPv4++, etc. and
allow the Internet to grow at the edges, with the individuals in control of their future.

The DNS can then be surveyed to see what people have selected by looking at their
AAAA records. Unfortunately, many people do not now know they have nameservers,
A records, or AAAA records. They have surrendered their "vote" to the I* society
Registrars and Registries, who have a financial incentive to keep the electorate away
from the decision-making.

--
JF