[ncdnhc-discuss] .org issue

KathrynKL at aol.com KathrynKL at aol.com
Thu Mar 21 18:36:18 CET 2002

OK Jamie, below are some response to the issues you raise.

I.  You are causing confusion to yourself and others by using words which
have precise legal definitions loosely.

You are using non-profit (not-for-profit) and noncommercial interchangeably.
They are not the same.  In your initial email, to which I responded, you
called for protection only of "not- for profit entities" in the future .ORG
(go read your email).  Not-for-profit, Jamie, is a precise legal definition
for a certain type of organization. It is a legal and tax construction that
exists only in some countries, not others.  It is an expensive proposition,
and not one that many or even most noncommercial organizations do.

But in using the term, you appear to support an argument of many commercial
participants.  Some, particularly commercial groups, are calling for
restriction of .ORG to only not for profit organizations.  But not for profit
organizations are only a small subset of all noncommercial organizations, and
all noncommercial organizations are only a small subset of the full and
robust use of all noncommercial communication in .ORG.  Is this the position
of the Consumer Project on Technology and the rest of the Nader groups-- a
massive restriction of .ORG?

If not, let's use the more inclusive terms in our discussion, namely
"noncommercial communication.'

II.  Second, You are calling for the creation of a new set of
pseudo-intellectual property rights for old noncommercial organizations, such
as yours, that would expand UDRP and hurt all future noncommercial
organizations.

Jamie, stop taking things personally and look at the big picture impact of
what you are suggesting.  You want to create a litmus test of future .ORG use
-- basically is a domain name in .ORG  noncommercial enough for the Consumer
Project on Technology?  If it is not, then you are calling for the revocation
or transfer of the domain name.  Our current mechanism, via ICANN, for
revocation and transfer of the domain name is the UDRP.

In the real world, the line between commercial and noncommercial is gray,
subject to question, review, consideration, etc.  But it doesn't matter in
the real world because no one is revoking domain names when a noncommercial
group tries to raise money, or when another organization wants to steal
someone else's cool .ORG name.  *It doesn't happen now, but you are setting
the stage for the same game-playing we see in .com. *

III.  There are no standards for the tests you are asking for --
noncommercial is in the eyes of the beholder (which is why self-selection, as
decided by the ICANN Board and the Names Council Task Force, is the right
standard).

Jamie, what would you and CPT have the test be for commercial vs.
noncommercial be?   Will ACM lose its domain name because it takes new
memberships (with credit cards) online?  Are you going to take away a Girl
Scout Troups domain name because their website, in addition to their camping
trip pictures, includes a price list of their cookies.   These are serious
legal questions.

My concern is about the hard cases, not the easy cases like "CPT," Jamie.
Good law and policy, as you know so well, are about the hard cases.  In the
future, under your scenario, when two noncommercial entities argue over the
same domain name, each will accuse the other of engaging in "commercial
activity."   In the NCC, we will soon be at each other's throats...
Organizations, individuals and families will be drawn into a new class of
UDRP actions or lawsuits merely because they have cool .ORG domain names, and
someone else wants them.

This is the stage you are setting - and one that we should avoid (and even
run from).

kathy kleiman