[ncdnhc-discuss] .org issue

KathrynKL at aol.com KathrynKL at aol.com
Tue Mar 19 20:50:11 CET 2002

Jamie wrote:
<<   Kathy, this is over the top.  >>

Jamie, none of my comments are meant to be over the top.  But I do call them
as I see them.  I have included your full email below that I was responding
to.  In it you set out a group of uses of .ORG domain names that you endorse,
and a group that you do not endorse.  You then say that you want to make sure
that your understanding of .ORG "is recognized by the UDRP."  I have to
shudder at the implications of expanding the UDRP in this way.

We have had this ongoing discussion for some time.  As I understand it, you
want to see .ORG for large and established organizations -- those who can
meet the difficult not-for-profit threshold.  I, many in the NCC, and the
Names Council (via its unanimous Task Force Report) want to see .ORG for its
existing base of noncommercial communication.  This includes non-profit
organizations, other forms of formal organizations, other forms of
organizations without any formal infrastructure (say a softball group that
meets every week), political discussion groups and information sites and
social discussion and information sites (including parenting, gardening etc)
whether run by organizations or not, family use, personal use, individual
use.  This is the current community that .ORG serves -- and it is a community
of people, information, and communication that I value more than anything
else on the Net.

As you know, I was one of the final drafters of the UDRP.  We limited it --
and purposely so.   To me, you appear to be calling for an expansion of the
UDRP to include reviews a) far beyond trademark law, and b) to welcome a
inquiry into the content, use and nature of noncommercial speech -- a concept
I find tremendously disturbing.

I shudder at the implications I see, but I also welcome an explanation of why
my analysis and concerns are not fair readings of your requests in .ORG.

regards, kathy