[ncdnhc-discuss] Results of Board Meeting

Harold J. Feld hfeld at mediaaccess.org
Thu Mar 14 23:08:19 CET 2002

I am deeply disappointed by the decision of the ICANN Board to eliminate
the At Large directors.  I believe this is a grave mistake, both as a
practical matter (I believe ICANN is a porrer organization without
publicly elected directors) and as a political matter (this decision
will only further the impression in many quarters that ICANN "insiders"
wish to perpetuate their authority at the expense of public participation.

Regarding the .org delegation, I am pleased that the bulk of the NC
recommendation was approved, and disappointed where the Board declined
to follow the consensus reached by NC.  The .org redelagation has
actually complied with ICANN processes in its particulars, and the Board
should not diverge from the consensus reached by the relevant supporting
organization without good cause.  I hope that Alejandro and other Board
members will elaborate on the reasons for rejecting certain aspects of
the NC recommendation.

Harold Feld