[ncdnhc-discuss] Org divestiture: not a new gTLD-type process

James Love love at cptech.org
Thu Mar 14 06:54:06 CET 2002

We are very supportive of a prompt .org divestiture, and feel that Verisign
should have been required to do even more.....    However, on the .org
diverstiture, I agree with the ICANN staff and others that say the issue of
the criteria for who gets the bid needs to be addressed, and I haven't seen
any consensus on how to do that.  We are happy with giving it to the low
bidder (probably the easiest way, and one that benefits domain name holder
through the lower prices), and we are also happy to look a system of a fixed
price and a high cash bid, with the money allocated in a fair way, such as
the voting mechanism (by domain name holders).  We are uncomfortable with a
bid system that is fixed price, and no clear criteria for the winning bid.
We believe this is subject to abuse.

jamie