[ncdnhc-discuss] What about 5 (or more) ICANNs?

Dany Vandromme vandrome at renater.fr
Tue Mar 5 18:12:45 CET 2002

James Love wrote:

> I think Chris Bailey raises a number of important issues in his missive.
> There may be a number of issues where different cultures, nations or regions
> have fundamental disagreements, or might just have different ways of doing
> things.   Much of the problems come from the movement to centralize decision
> making.  This one size fits all approach leads to a lot of conflict, and
> attracts people who seek to control the Internet in ways that should have
> nothing to do with the DNS.
>
> Perhaps the "solution" is to push for much greater decentralization of
> decision making.  Maybe 5 (or more) regional ICANNs could negotiate with
> each other, but maintain some independence too.
>
>   Jamie

-
Would you mean a RIR type model?
The address space is determined in advance, and may by partitioned any
way, since the only value of an address is its uniqueness.
Domain names are different, since they have variable lengths, bigger
alphabet and most of them want to mean something and get their value out
of it, added to the required uniqueness.
Because of that, the name space cannot be partitionned between regions,
unless drastically reduced in size (ccTLDs do that already)
Dany

Dany VANDROMME                    |  Directeur du GIP RENATER

                Reseau National de Telecommunications
         pour la Technologie, l'Enseignement et la Recherche

                                  |  ENSAM
Tel   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 30     |  151 Boulevard de l'Hopital
Fax   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 31     |  75013 Paris
E-mail: Dany.Vandromme at renater.fr |  FRANCE