[ncdnhc-discuss] What about 5 (or more) ICANNs?

James Love love at cptech.org
Tue Mar 5 18:05:27 CET 2002

Just because something is global does not mean it is a good idea for it to
be controlled centrally, or by a particular body.  One uniqueness issue
concerns the TLD names.  Suppose there were 5 regional ICANNs, each governed
according to the tastes or preferences of each region.  One could have a
system where any region could propose a string for a new TLD, and after a
period of review (where regions could object), it would then be accepted (if
not blocked), and added to consensus root.  Things could move fast, and we
would not need to spend a fortune to have a global ICANN governance
structure.  The regional ICANNs would be more in touch with regional values.

  Jamie