[ncdnhc-discuss] governments and ICANN

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Sat Mar 2 18:14:17 CET 2002

Dear Jamie,
before anyone serious - and supposedly the Governement people are serious -
consider entering the ICANN, he will first consider the use of the ICANN.
The ICANN: what for?

Mission 1: to host the IANA functions.

1. ASO : the RIPE position shows that ICANN has not much to do there. I am
quite concerned about IPv6 long term plan but obviously the ICANN is not.
2. PSO : has any one a concern? Seems that an online program could do the
job better/cheaper?
3. DNSO :
     - USG root server system. Various comments say "don't touch, works well".
     - IANA database : Elisabeth Porteneuve also manitained it to get it
accurate?
     - new TLDs : we are a few root administrators accepting musch more
TLDs and we manage.
So what else except PRs, social event management, T&L

Mission creep/leap: these roles are certainly necessary for some but they
cost a lot to all.
What are they? Are there not more appropriate places?

jfc