[ncdnhc-discuss] Public Forum afternoon session in Accra

Chun Eung Hwi ehchun at peacenet.or.kr
Wed Mar 13 18:34:42 CET 2002

Dear ncdnhc members,

I am sorry for this short note (maybe, again unilaterally edited report)
And forgive me to skip Names Council meeting and morning session of Public
Forum things because I should also concentrate on my own job as an NC
member.

This afternoon, there was very boring debate on insulting words towards
board members between microphone taker and a few board members. After that
unfruitful chattering, Amadeu asked very substantial question.

Amadeu : So far as I know it, ALSC and NAIS are quite different each
other. Then, now it seems to be some conversion at the side of NAIS. Is it
right?

I could not write here the exact words those NAIS people used for
explaining their position because I am not a scriber. Anyhow, they tried
to explain why they are taking such changed position and almost accepted
Amadeu's thinking.

Only Alexander Svensen, alternate chair of GA, emphasized that in any way,
some decision should be taken in Accra. He said that all proposals are put
on the table. Now, board should decide something. Let's end up this
continuous postponement here. It seems to be postponed eternally. Please
take some decision.

I respect NAIS members' committed efforts and their valuable contribution,
but quite frankly, their explanation sounded as if it is the declaration
of giving up. Interestingly, when Isumi Aizu explain NAIS position, Esther
Dyson shouted out this. "say only YES" (It meant NAIS accept ALSC report's
recommendation.)

I am sorry but I felt that somewhere, at large members are being insulted.

At the closing remark, Vint Cerf summarized his feeling. He separated two
elements. One is the value of individual input, and the other is all
things regarding election for at large directors. He seems to think that
the former could be seriously considered, but the latter will never come
again.

I am sorry for this too much subjective report. But I believe our very
respectable board director - Alejandro Pisanty would report the whole
things more objectively. Thank you in advance!

Chun Eung Hwi
General Secretary, PeaceNet | phone:     (+82) 2- 2062-1302
Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82) 019-259-2667
Seoul, 158-600, Korea       | eMail:   ehchun at peacenet.or.kr