[ncdnhc-discuss] Some Comments on Lynn's Proposal in Accra NCDNHC meeting!

Chun Eung Hwi ehchun at peacenet.or.kr
Mon Mar 11 20:09:39 CET 2002

Even before putting the completed minute of NCDNHC meeting, Here, I send
the key parts of our discussion in that meeting. Due to many obstacles
such as visa problem, hard condition for travelling and etc, around 20 or
more participants could gather in that meeting. Voting rights has not been
confirmed because we had only some voting members. Therefore, this record
has some meaning to show up some rough consensus in f2f meeting
participants.

We, ncdnhc f2f meeting held in Accra, Ghana, passed the draft resolution -
"Emergency Resolution on Stuart Lynn's Reform Proposal". There was one
amendment proposed by Michael Gendron that remove two words of "direct" in
"(directly) elected representation" and "(direct) representation elected
by the user community", but the original draft resolution has got 9 in
favor and the amended resolution has got two in favor.

There were some comments on Stuart Lynn's proposal.

With regard to the nominee by governments at the board of trustees

-	Fear of oligarchy of a few advanced countries
-	Fear of the plausible distorted perception of governments that
could regard ICANN as a tool for global regulation of Internet rather than
technical coordination function in the limited key scope of mission
-	too naive to fund-raising from governments  - not easy and also to
be conditional
-	Governments will prefer to choose ITU as more comfortable place so
that their full participation could be secured there. The proposal is
galvanizing governments to think in that direction.

Very critical to the self-perpetuating mechanism of nomination committee

Chun Eung Hwi
General Secretary, PeaceNet | phone:     (+82) 2- 2062-1302
Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82) 019-259-2667
Seoul, 158-600, Korea       | eMail:   ehchun at peacenet.or.kr