[ncdnhc-discuss] Notes from June 25

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Wed Jun 26 18:13:57 CEST 2002

Esther Dyson wrote:
> Jamie, you have flat-out misrepresented  what I said - and what I have
> written.  Why don't you look at the record instead of making things up?
>
> For example, here are my suggested amendments (in all-caps) to one
> section of our letter to the board:
>
>         ALAC should SELECT [[DELETE appoint]] voting members  [[[DELETE
> /liaisons ]]]  to
> the Board, AND SHOULD WORK TOWARDS THE GOAL OF ELECTIONS TO SELECT BOARD
> MEMBERS THAT WILL BE FAIR AND REPRESENTATIVE.

      Esther, I don't know what "record" you are talking about.  I was
reporting on your presentation yesterday in the at-large meeting, and in
another missive, on your presentation in this mornings GA meeting. (I know
you have taken contrary positions in the past.)

	If you want to tell the ICANN board in Bucharest (the press and the  US DoC)
that ICANN should allow the at-large to vote, to choose its own leaders, and
to elect members of the ICANN board, I look forward to hearing you say this.
  Here you have said that at-large members should accept the blueprint
framework, which eliminates these rights, and you have endorsed the
"at-large structures" approach as progress.

	In my opinion, the at-large "structures" proposal is a cynical PR device to
make the elimination of voting rights sound like a good thing for
individuals, to distract and undermine real at-large organizing efforts, and
  a deliberate effort to confuse people.

    Jamie

-----------

     *  Conducting outreach, identifying individuals/groups worldwide
(individuals, academic institutions, businesses, non-commercial/consumer
groups, and other non-governmental organizations) interested in relevant
Internet user issues and At-Large organizing;
     * Managing surveys and discussions on specific relevant issues, as
determined by user indications of interest or ICANN's policy-making activities;
     * Identifying common (and conflicting) objectives and interests
relevant to Internet users and ICANN's mission; and
* Establishing mechanisms for coordination and cooperation and policy
development among At-Large structures and with ICANN stakeholders, including
supporting the Board's directive on At-Large, which states that "the Board
Committee on Restructuring, working in conjunction with the President and
staff, is instructed to ensure that their ongoing efforts at crafting a
blueprint for ICANN reform include (a) workable mechanisms and procedures
that enable meaningful opportunities for participation by the full range of
Internet users, including individuals, academic institutions, large and
small businesses, non-commercial entities (including consumer groups), and
other non-governmental organizations, (b) an appropriate role for those
interests in ICANN's coordinating and management structures, and (c)
appropriate mechanisms to minimize disruption during the reform
implementation process."

--
------
James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
http://www.cptech.org, mailto:love at cptech.org
voice: 1.202.387.8030; mobile 1.202.361.3040