[ncdnhc-discuss] Adding more namespace - was making George richer -

todd glassey todd.glassey at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 18 16:07:37 CEST 2002

The problem is DNS and how it works relative to global IP models, and this
paraphrased in a single sentence, is due to their only being a facility to
support a single root in the original BIND. The phone company figured this
out years ago went they invented "Area Codes" allowing the same numbers to
be replicated within each area code...

To reinforce this the reason they needed AC's was because the "station
addressing system" had a limited number of possible responses. Domain Names
because they are built for the largest part on language or words in common
use in that demographic, have a much smaller number of the total
possibilities that an alphabet alone name space could represent.

For instance domains like coca-cola.com would give way to ASDFG-QWERTY.com
and we would have to rely totally on search engines or publishing
bureaus/portals for our access model. However there is the simple solution
of adding an Area Code to the address:

www.coca-cola.com

[zone-name]www.coca-cola.com

but more importantly for each zone supported, you could have a complete set
of DOT COM, NET, and ORG's + the other 4 or 5 TLDs. As to the ccTLD's this
works for them as well, the ccTLD's get replaced with the simpler

[cc]Joes-company.com  style addresses...

Remember - All that is going on here is that the "bracket encased zone tag"
is defining which set of root servers the rest of the address needs to be
resolved and the net effect is - Poof - Billions more potentially available
names, just create the zones. This new naming convention also keeps the
names more or less the same length and the ccTLD's names have been longer
than the other names giving them a disadvantage.

The other benefit is the potential creation of this  new class of "Word
Names" that are a part of a single TLD Zone. And Single TLD Zone would not
need a TLD specified in my model either. If there is no "dot TLD" in the
submitted DNS name, then the name is assumed to be "dot default" and as such
is not needed. The server will likewise expect the same. This minor parser
trick gives us the Trademark style single word domains like

Todd Glassey