[ncdnhc-discuss] WLS proposal

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Mon Jun 17 22:08:59 CEST 2002

Marc Schneiders wrote:
>>>How do you make sure that I do not try to be 1000 persons, so enhancing my
>>>chance at getting a domain in the lottery?
>>
>>    Well, I would require that you provide accurate whois data in order to
>>bid, and if you committed fraud, I would bar you from future participation.
>>    You could also rely upon a financial transaction to confirm a real
>>billing address.
>
> So, I would have to pay to participate in the lottery?

     You might have to have paid at least once, for something... maybe
another doamin.   The issue you raised concerned identify fraud.   If you
have registered a domain before, and a financial transaction can confirm
your billing address and name, then the identify fraud issue can be addressed.

     Or, some other method could be used to verify the whois data.  My point
is that one can make it difficult to pretend to be 1,000 persons, and also
make it completely unimportant to be first for expired domains.

Jamie

PS, as a member of the NCC Adcom, find out what I have to do to make an
official NCC position, since I"m on the TF, and I keep being asked if it is
offical NCC position.

------
James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
http://www.cptech.org, mailto:love at cptech.org
voice: 1.202.387.8030; mobile 1.202.361.3040