[ncdnhc-discuss] Online elections can be extremely cheap

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Tue Jun 11 07:07:39 CEST 2002

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 06:58:48PM -0400, James Love wrote:
> Kent, what the context for this comment?  (I was searching for your paper on
> the NomCom).  Jamie

I recently reposted that paper on the ga list:

  http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc10/msg01920.html

>  http://www.icann.org/comments-mail/membership/archive1/msg00609.html
>
> [Membership] [Comment-Mac] Re: Secret ballots

I see you are doing a bit of research.  You will find that I have a long
history with studying election systems -- the gTLD-MoU PAB use an online
voting system (I was elected chairman using it, in fact).  Later I
implemented two more online voting systems; using them, I have managed
online elections for NCDNHC and for the ccTLDs; I'm one of the GA
"watchdogs"; and, as you know, I worked on the ICANN election system.
I've studied the problem for a long time, and I have a significant
amount of real experience with online elections.

The discussion you reference below concerned the difference between
secret ballot elections and roll-call voting (which is what, for
example, the ICANN board uses most of the time) -- if you are willing to
give up a secret ballot, things become substantially simpler.  On the
other hand, non-private voting facilitates the buying of votes, since
the buyer can be sure that he got what he paid for.

There are two important points about the message below, though: First of
all, it is just a discussion of the voting mechanism itself, and it does
not address the issue of identification/registration of voters; and
second, it was written before I had the practical experience of dealing
with the scaling problems that ICANN has, and today I would much more
carefully delineate the different areas.

For someone with a long time interest in online voting, the experience
with the ICANN election was absolutely priceless.  No amount of
theoretical babble can replace it.

> [...]
> something called the "American Arbitration Council" or something like
> that.  Joop innocently suggests his votebot.  I don't trust either of
> these, and I suspect that there are many other people who won't trust
> them.  Of course, we could always just let the ICANN board count the
> votes...or let them pick a TTP they like, right?
>
> I'm not saying that a TTP couldn't eventually be found.  The problem
> is that trust is intrinsically something that requires time to
> develop.  The vast majority of the at-large members of ICANN, as well
> as the Board and many other players, have to be comfortable with the
> choice.  As far as non-USA participants, the "American Arbitration
> Board" is maybe a little more real than the ICIIU, but how do you
> know?
>
> On the other hand, online roll-call voting works, out of the box, and
> does not require a TTP.  Verification is instant and essentially
> perfect.  No auditing is required.
>
> > Why
> > start skimping with the integrity of the process?
>
> I argue that starting with secret ballots *is* skimping on the
> integrity of the process.
>
> > The privacy of one's vote
> > is a prime value.  It is not something I am interested in losing.  I doubt
> > there are many who feel otherwise.
>
> You should control your jerking knees and sloganeering, and try to
> think outside your box.  "Privacy" is not an absolute, it's not a
> mantra, a religious matter, or a "prime value".  It's not even
> well-defined: it exists in many shades of gray, and has to be
> evaluated along with everything else.
>
> In fact, my prime concern is precisely the "integrity of the
> process".  However, one can't simply paper over the difficulties with
> secret ballots in the name of "privacy".
>
> --
> Kent Crispin                               "Do good, and you'll be
> kent at songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain

> ----
>
>   a.. Follow-Ups:
>     a.. [Membership] [Comment-Mac] Re: Secret ballots
>       a.. From: Eric Weisberg <weisberg at texoma.net>
>   a.. References:
>     a.. [Membership] [Comment-Mac] Secret ballots
>       a.. From: Jonathan Zittrain <zittrain at cyber.law.harvard.edu>
>     b.. [Membership] [Comment-Mac] privacy and voting
>       a.. From: Kent Crispin <kent at songbird.com>
>     c.. Re: [Membership] [Comment-Mac] Re: Secret ballots
>       a.. From: Darrell Greenwood <darrell_greenwood at mindlink.net>
>     d.. Re: [Membership] [Comment-Mac] Re: Secret ballots
>       a.. From: Craig Simon <cls at flywheel.com>
>     e.. Re: [Membership] [Comment-Mac] Re: Secret ballots
>       a.. From: Eric Weisberg <weisberg at texoma.net>
>   a.. Prev by Date: Re: [Membership] [Comment-Mac] Re: Secret ballots
>   b.. Next by Date: Re: [Membership] [Comment-Mac] Re: Secret ballots
>   c.. Prev by thread: Re: [Membership] [Comment-Mac] Re: Secret ballots
>   d.. Next by thread: [Membership] [Comment-Mac] Re: Secret ballots

Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
kent at songbird.com                          lonesome."  -- Mark Twain