[ncdnhc-discuss] ISOC to bid on .org

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Sun Jun 9 19:35:52 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent Crispin" <kent at songbird.com>
: >   Next, you would would have to create 10,000 phony
: > voters, with 10,000 phone names, email addresses, and postal addresses.
:
: Nope.  Perfectly legal voters.  A large organization or corporation
: or government could come up with 10000 perfectly legal voters at the
: drop of a hat, if they paid for them.  Note that this would not be
: fraud -- it would be perfectly legal.

    And what would be wrong with that?  If 10,000 people wanted to register
and vote in an online election, would that be bad?      And why would anyone
pay to have 10,000 people register to vote in the first place?  Are these
10,000 people who have no minds of their own?

: You have several times made the point that since the CIRA/ICANN
: elections produced qualified directors (even though perhaps unpopular in
: some circles), those procedures must be OK for selecting board members.
: By that criteria, however, the original selection of ICANN board members
: is an acceptable procedure.  Also, by that criteria a nomcom would
: also be an acceptable procedure.

    I have said that there are at least two important criteria, (1) the
quality of the board members, and (2) the fairness of the system of
selecting the board members.

    If it was only about the quality of the board members, why not just have
Vint choose his friends  -- he has a talented group of colleagues.  Why not
have Karl Auerback pick his friends?

    The problem for a NomCom is to justify how it gets choosen to choose,
not if will pick qualified candidates.

: I think that there are lots of cost-effective ways to get qualified
: directors.  I'm happy with a nomcom, and if not that, then an indirect
: election as I described in my paper...I guess you never bothered to read
: all the way through it.

   I never bothered to read your paper period.  I'm responding to your posts
to the list.   What paper?

James Love mailto:james.love at cptech.org
http://www.cptech.org +1.202.387.8030 mobile +1.202.361.3040