[ncdnhc-discuss] ISOC to bid on .org

Hans Klein hans.klein at pubpolicy.gatech.edu
Fri Jun 7 17:44:36 CEST 2002

At 07:00 AM 6/7/2002 -0700, Kent Crispin wrote:

>In last years CIRA election they enrolled all voters in a lottery w/
>$15000 in prizes, as an added inducement to vote.  In spite of that, out
>of 90000 members, ~3000 voted, a 3-4% voter turnout.  You can spin that how
>you like, but to me, that is a serious "apparent difficulty" that
>doesn't give me a lot of warm fuzzy feelings about the election, or the
>future stability of CIRA:

I disagree that this voter turnout indicates a problem.

As I understand it, there are few controversies over the management of
CIRA.  Therefore, there is little to which voters need to hold management
accountable.  Hence the low turnout.

But let's say the CIRA board started proactively making public policy or
was seen to be engaged in inside dealing with its friends.  In that case,
one could that voter turnout would greatly increase.  Members would get
involved and hold the board accountable.

Seen as an accountability mechanism, elections only really kick in when
problems arise.

I think the same holds for ICANN.  The 2000 elections successfully held the
board accountable for its actions, and a number of reformers were elected.

If the ICANN board's actions were less controversial (I believe this is
definitely possible), then ICANN elections would become boring.   That has
always been everyone's goal: boring elections that indicate that ICANN is
staying out of controversy.

Instead, ICANN has proposed to eliminate the elections.  So now we can
spend another year or two redesigning this institution or perhaps
ultimately junking it.

Too bad the ICANN board has not chosen the CIRA model!

Hans