COI (was Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] nomcom)

t byfield tbyfield at panix.com
Wed Jun 5 06:07:25 CEST 2002

apisan at servidor.unam.mx (Tue 06/04/02 at 10:43 PM -0500):

> we are first repopulating the COI committee. That requires a formal
> decision, ergo a meeting at least by teleconference. I'm pressing for
> progress.

alejandro--

it comes as no surprise that you would be in the forefront of the
board when it comes to 'repopulating' the committee -- because of
course it wasn't actually 'depopulated.'

i mean, if the board can jeopardize the stability of the internet
by introducing new TLDs on the basis of a sub-quorum 'straw poll,'
then surely a one-man committee can handle disposing of meritless
slander against someone of unimpeachable character, right?

i can't wait to see who gets appointed. may i recommend linda wil-
son? her word ('initial') is as good as gold. or maybe hans--he's
just as upright, plus his 'expenses' are *much* higher. or jon co-
hen: his integrity -- for example, the press release he issued af-
ter the AL elections in which he, uh, strongly suggested that *he*
had been elected in a 'historic online vote'...well, let me quote
at length:

     "ICANN is the regulator of a market worth about US $50 billion,"
     said Mr. Cohen, "and it is the first organization to attempt a
     world-wide election online. Every aspect of this election oc-
     curred online - campaigning, nomination, acceptance, voter re-
     gistration and voting. The implications for a democratic global
     voting process for the future are astounding."

...like i say, integrity. and fastidious, too: his secretary abso-
lutely assured me that he had approved every last word. so maybe he
would be a good candidate for the COI committee.

good luck!

cheers,