[ncdnhc-discuss] ISOC to bid on .org

Don Heath heath at isoc.org
Tue Jun 4 05:58:03 CEST 2002

At 11:19 PM 6/3/02 -0400, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
>Don, it would be helpful if you could set me straight - one hears so many
>weird things these days.
>
>I've been told that ISOC just rewrote it rules so that individual members
>no longer vote to elect directors, and the voting rights are for sale to
>corporate conributors.

At this point all that was done was to suspend election of Trustees by
Individual members, for 2002.  That is a case provided in the ISOC bylaws.

At the same time, we have changed our governance structure to allow
Trustees to be elected by constituencies - IETF, Chapters, and Organization
members, plus others to be appointed by the board.

>That's false, right?  ISOC is still a members' organization, not
>controled/controllable by a trade group, isn't it?

I can say with certainty that Trustees are individuals, representing
themselves, in the best interest of the Internet and the Internet
Society.  They are not elected to the board of ISOC to represent Chapter
interests, Organization member interests, or IETF interests.

ISOC is not controlled by any entity.  It is based on a set of principles
by which we define what we do, how we do it, why we do it, and also how we
form our position on the many issues that confront the Internet.

Thus, little has changed with regard to the ideals of ISOC.

Don