[ncdnhc-discuss] Robert Shaw's 24 June note on GAC meeting

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Sun Jun 30 18:20:46 CEST 2002

 From Robert Shaw's weblog

http://radio.weblogs.com/0108486/

NN GAC Meeting in Bucharest

Bret Fausett, notes today in his [icann.blog.us], that the GAC "met all day
in closed session" and "even the ICANN Board members are not allowed to
attend most of the GAC meetings". That's entirely correct and, as a
participant in the GAC here in Bucharest, even if I may not agree with this
policy, I have to respect the GAC operating procedures. That said, I think
it's reasonable to give some general gist of the meeting. First, it's clear
that the majority of GAC participants were extremely surprised to have to
suddenly digest ICANN's Blueprint for Reform, released on June 20th. As most
of the delegates had not even seen this document yet, the meeting had to be
almost immediately suspended for an hour to allow everyone to read this
document which contains some very substantive changes from earlier drafts.
Afterwards, we had a session with Stuart Lynn and Alejandro Pisanty, who
when directly asked, indicated that their expectations were that this basic
Blueprint, perhaps with some changes based on conversations during the week,
be adopted by the Board at the end of the week in Bucharest. I, for one, was
immediately struck how this seemed to contradict the statement in the
Blueprint that the "GAC should receive adequate notice and an opportunity to
comment on all ICANN policy decisions before they are taken" as well as the
existing provisions in the ICANN Bylaws that "The Board will notify the
chairman of the Governmental Advisory Committee of any proposal for which it
seeks comments under Article III, Section 3(b) and will consider any
response to that notification prior to taking action."
  11:41:18

--
------
James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
http://www.cptech.org, mailto:love at cptech.org
voice: 1.202.387.8030; mobile 1.202.361.3040