[ncdnhc-discuss] Re: news from bucharest: at large exists again

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Thu Jun 27 14:55:33 CEST 2002

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: news from bucharest: at large exists again
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:55:09 -0400
From: James Love <james.love at cptech.org>
To: General Assembly <ga at dnso.org>

Vittorio Bertola wrote:
  > Dear fellow members,
  >
  > it is worth noting that since five minutes ago, as per Lyman Chapin's
  > proposed amendment to the Blueprint exposed while presenting it to the
  > public forum, the At Large concept exists again, though with very limited
  > prerogatives if compared to the original election of half of the Board. I am
  > sure that many of us will complain about this or consider it just a fig
  > leaf, but for those (very few) of us who actually bothered to come here to
  > Bucharest and spend the last days lobbying for this to happen, it is
  > definitely a great achievement, at least as a starting point.
  >
  > We'll have to discuss (I imagine, very hardly) in the next days whether this
  > proposed role (an At Large Advisory Committee similar to the GAC and the
  > other ACs) suits us, whether it is acceptable, or whether we should refuse
  > to participate in it and try to overturn ICANN as a whole. But at least,
  > this is a huge step forward if compared to the "nothing" of the Blueprint
  > document.

Vittorio, there is a big problem that you should mention.  The Esther/Board
version of the at-large is the exact opposite of what it was.  Instead of
the public electing their own leaders, now the ICANN board will pick which
members of the public can speak for the public.  You know.  Like in the old
USSR.   As you know, individual cannot join the at large on their own, and
ICANN will decide which organizations can join, and ICANN will decide who
"really" represents user interests, and how.   If you like this, it is good
evidence that you would really fit in.

Jamie

------
James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
http://www.cptech.org, mailto:love at cptech.org
voice: 1.202.387.8030; mobile 1.202.361.3040

--
------
James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
http://www.cptech.org, mailto:love at cptech.org
voice: 1.202.387.8030; mobile 1.202.361.3040