[ncdnhc-discuss] Specific proposal

DannyYounger at cs.com DannyYounger at cs.com
Tue Jun 25 17:32:11 CEST 2002

Alejandro,

You have requested specific proposals that actually relate to Domain Name
policy.  I would like to expand upon a concept that you first presented in
the Blueprint for Reform -- the idea of a "review" conducted by an entity
independent of the GNSO that can proceed in parallel with a review instigated
by the GNSO.  Rather than limiting this concept only to organizational
review, the case can be made for expanding the approach to researching domain
name policy issues.

Over the course of the last year we have been privy to two outstanding and
comprehensive parallel reports, the NAIS study which was far more
comprehensive than the ALSC report, and the recent SNAPNAMES submission to
the Board which by comparison made a mockery of the work-product tendered by
the Names Council Transfers Task Force.  In each case, the independent report
was more thoroughly researched, substantially better documented, and
ultimately added to significantly enhancing the Board's comprehension of the
issues at hand.

I would propose that on each occasion that the steering committee of the GNSO
decides to convene a constituency-based Task Force to consider a domain name
policy issue, that the At-Large community be tasked with providing a parallel
report within the same timeframe.  This would allow for the Public Interest
view to properly be articulated, and will afford an opportunity to the
At-Large community to "prove" that they can make a substantial contribution.

Your Committee was instructed to ensure that the ongoing efforts at crafting
a blueprint for ICANN reform include (a) workable mechanisms and procedures
that enable meaningful opportunities for participation by the full range of
Internet users, and (b) an appropriate role for those interests in ICANN's
coordinating and management structures.  This proposal, to some degree,
attends to those obligations.