[ncdnhc-discuss] WLS proposal

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Mon Jun 17 21:22:18 CEST 2002

As one of the members of the Transfers TK from the NCC, this is my proposed
solution to the problem of expired domains.

Rather than allocate these domains on a first come first serve basis, which
  creates a lot of problems in terms of how people get first in line, and
which also  presents problems for people that did not intend to let a domain
lapse, I propose the following proceedure.

1.  Whenever a domain expires, and after whatever grace period is
appropriate, it be placed upon a list of expired domains, maintained joinly
by the registrars who want to participate, with equal access to the list.

2.  Over a period of 30 days, any person who wants to register the expired
domain can express an interest.

3.  During the 30 day period, the original domain owner can reactivate the
domain.

4.  If the original domain owner has not reactivated the domain during the
30 day period, the domain is assigned by lottery to one of the parties
seeking the domain.

Jamie

------
James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
http://www.cptech.org, mailto:love at cptech.org
voice: 1.202.387.8030; mobile 1.202.361.3040