[ncdnhc-discuss] Elections (was ISOC)

Harold J. Feld hfeld at mediaaccess.org
Sun Jun 9 18:54:33 CEST 2002

Alejandro writes:

 >Hi!

 >a salient characteristic of the CIRA election is that all voters have
 >to be domain-name holders under .ca.

 >If I remember well our constituency has strenuously opposed such a
 >condition for the at-large, and I have upheld the objection repeatedly.
 >So any comparison is somewhere between little-relevant and moot at
 >least on that basis. BTW the condition seems perfectly right to many in
 >the better defined realm of a ccTLD administration.

 >Alejandro Pisanty

Alejandro's message raises several points worthy of discussion.

1) The difference between ccTLD administration, gTLD administration, and
ICANN administration.

There has been considerable debate on the names council as to how
seperable these issues are.  Alejandro appears to raise (albeit as a
final thought) that the question of elections is one which may work in a
well defined ccTLD, but not a more global system such as ICANN.

There are reasons to justify this.  In a ccTLD with a geographic based
restriction on registration (and I think CA has some sort of geographic
nexus requirement), and with a smaller population, the mechanics of such
an election are easier to manage than for a global organization.  Other
reasons may also suggest themselves.

But that a method of selection works on a local level may be instructive
on to decisions on a global level.  I believe Jamie's essential point
has been that there is nothing inherently impossible about online
elections.  The counter arguments, if stripped to their underlying
logical nub, are either to dispute whether the CA election has in fact
been a success, and, if it is a succes, whether it can scale up to ICANN
level organizations.

Others have made much of the turn out issue.  This may ormay not make a
difference depending on how one views the purpose of elections.  If
elections are urged because only a decision or a representative approved
by a sufficient percentage of the population to be deemd to hold a
"mandate" is valid, then low participation makes elections a failure.
(Some countries employ mandatory elections to counter this, then refusal
to participate becomes a statement).

OTOH, there are many other reasons to have elections, even with low
turn-outs.  Legitimacey is a big one.  I feel differently about a system
if I have the opportunity to vote, even if I don't exercise that right.
My failure to vote becomes an acquiesence in the final result.  By
contrast, if I cannot vote, then I can properly regard the system as
coersive, since I have not aquiesced in the process.

Elections are not, of course, the only path to legitimacy.  In my
comments to the Committee, I have suggested tow other mechanisms ICANN
can employ in lieu of elections.  1) An Independent Reivew Board
appointed wholly independently from ICANN (I do not think the
arbitration and ombudsman proposals by the Board are adequate); and 2)
regular admission of new TLDs into the root to minimize politicking
around ICANN (my thanks to Milton for letting me use his piece on that).

Harold