[ncdnhc-discuss] Re : [Implementation of Evolution and Reform] Another Exploration?

YJ Park yjpark at myepark.com
Mon Jul 29 07:07:04 CEST 2002

Dear Jefsey,

Thank you for your efforts to make this discussion more constructive.

As I admitted, I am lost here after particiapted in ICANN testbed for
three years which unfortunately turned out as total failure. I was in
ICANN as an Internet user under gTLD space and Internet user
under .KR space.

Facing ICANN reform I think it would be helpful for NCDNHC to be
exposed to as diverse proposals as possible to have better views
where we are heading to.

To have better understanding on your proposal on GCC and GIC, let
me ask several questions of you, if you don't mind.

Assuming the GIC+GCC proposal is on the table for ERC discussion,

Q1. Can you explain what could be and should be the roles for the
governments in the area of ccTLDs and gTLDs under this scheme.

Q2. Re ccTLD matters, ccTLD alliances are here recommended to
work closely with ICANN even in the GIC+GCC model. What kind of
relations could be developed?

    - between ccTLD alliances and ICANN
    - between ccTLD alliances and GIC+ GCC
    - ccTLD allainces and the governments

Q3. Re the States and UN TLDs, GAC is again mentioned as
a coordinating body. Can you explain what are the differences
between GAC and GIC+GCC in this context?

Q4. RE sTLDs, you here proposed GIC again for coordination.
What makes you think sTLDs should be coordinated by GIC+GCC
while gTLDs should be coordinated by ICANN.

I want to explore various proposals as much as possible in an open
manner whether new proposals can bring us values to not only
make "Internet is for everyone" but also make "power to decide
Internet policies for everyone".

Thank you,
YJ

1. IMHO GAC is of no interest within the ICANN. GAC should be made
a member of an "ICANN, ITU,+"  Group. As the ITU shares the same
need on the same issue. ICANN, GAC and ITU should be joined in the
Global Communication Committee (GCC). Global Internet Committee,
GIC is the key of the whole solution because otherwise its potential
members will aggregate within the ITU to get protected from the ICANN, s
ince the ICANN is not able/does not want to welcome them.

ICANN + GIC will form the value added level (layer 7-11 in the
Extended network model). Under the GAC (12h layer) and on top of
the network level (layer 0-7).

2.  the ccTLDs are part of their national communities.
The ccTLD alliance(s) should be member of the GIC and maintain
close relations with ICANN as they today share too much in term of
user registration culture. (That culture will meet a lot of changes with
the evolution of the use of the URL).

3. the gTLDs are (cf. RFC 920) the area of direct administration of ICANN (IANA).
The gTLD Constituency should be member of the GCC ICANN delegation.

4. the States and UN TLDs (eu, edu/mil/gov, int) should be represented
through the GAC but could form a Public TLD group.

5. the sTLDs are a mixed area and should be split between registration/
support services business operations like SITA and NCDNHC for non-profit
communities like ".sioux".

The non-ITU Members and the non-profit community should be Members of
the GIC. This will include the open root TLDs and New.net. Obviously the BC
will include Members in competition.

6. The large nomenclatures (ISSN, ISBN, WIPO, OMS, etc.) should
progressively become members of the GIC.

Any other scheme will fail because this only a description of the forces and
interests at stake, the way things are currently organizing even if ICANN, ITU,
GAC may not realize it.

The only problem we have is that the sub-network ".arpa" has become too
large for a while and this is to be corrected. Some think it will be corrected
by an Internet becoming everything while the rest of the world think the
Internet is over doing it, has already paid a lot at listening to the Internet
enthusiasts and are not ready for a second Internet shock.