[ncdnhc-discuss] NCDNHC & WLS

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Jul 23 04:07:41 CEST 2002

Danny:
WLS is a registrar and registry issue, when you come down to it.
It is not central to our concerns. It has obvious importance
to any consumer of domain names. With my own interest in
economic regulation of the domain name market, it is an
interesting issue for me personally, but since quitting the
Naes Council I have not had time to keep up with it,
and it strikes me as the kind of issue where a little bit of
knowledge can be dangerous. That accounts for my silence,
anyway.

>>> <DannyYounger at cs.com> 07/22/02 11:16AM >>>
This constituency has received reminders regarding the upcoming vote on WLS
from both its Transfers Task Force representative, Jamie Love, and from its
Names Council representative who appealed for comments, Erick Iriarte Ahon.
There has been no feedback from the constituency.

One has to wonder if the NCDNHC is still a viable constituency?  This one
issue has probably received more comments than any other in recent memory --
over 600 posts to the Public Forum, and an equal or greater number posted to
the GA and registrars' lists... but in this forum one only hears the sounds
of silence.  Every other constituency is acting to examine the issues and to
offer guidance to its representatives.  This constituency doesn't appear to
be doing much of anything in that regard.

While this constituency has in the past championed civil society issues,
there is much more to participation in ICANN than merely unfurling the banner
of egalitarianism... sometimes the real day-to-day work needs to get done.

What position will this constituency take?  Without the benefit of
constituency feedback, will your representatives abstain or vote their
conscience?

This constituency could potentially hold the deciding vote on a matter of
concern to a great many folk.  Is it fair to the rest of the Internet
Community that your reps might be casting such a vote without the benefit of
guidance from their membership?  It's not too late to express your opinions
on this topic...  please feel free to contribute something to the dialogue.