[ncdnhc-discuss] Re: [ncdnhc-announce] ORG divestiturepolicynears completion!

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Jan 9 15:04:03 CET 2002

Thanks, Rob for the suggestion. Here is what
I am proposing:

"The initial delegation of the .org TLD should be to a non-profit organization that is noncommercial in orientation and the initial board of which includes substantial representation of noncommercial .org registrants. "

It is a bit more specific than your proposal but
it gets rid of the "controlled by" language which
causes problems for several people.

At 9:26 PM -0500 1/5/02, Milton Mueller wrote:
>  >>> Don Heath <heath at isoc.org> 01/05/02 16:07 PM >>>
>>  My comment was based on the fact that VERY few non
>>  profit organizations are "controlled" by
>>  noncommercial .org registrants!
>
>OK, this is just a misunderstanding. We may need to clarify the
>language, as you make a good point.
>
>ISOC is an .org registrant and is (more or less)
>noncommercial. The Ford Motor Co. may have an .org
>registration or two, but they are not noncommercial.
>That is simply the distinction we were trying to make.
>
>More broadly, the intent of the policy is to require an
>organization that bids for .org to gain support and
>participation from a wide variety of noncommercial
>.org registrants. ISOC, or ACM, or Hong Kong University, for
>example, might want to "lead" an application, but the policy is
>trying to tell them
>that their bid will be stronger if a lot of other
>organizations that are .org registrants, and individual .org
>registrants, line up in support
>of their bid. Is that intent clear?
>
>If you can propose a better wording I'll put it
>in there.

What about:

  1a.The initial delegation of the .org TLD should be to a non-profit
  organization that is responsive and accountable to noncommercial
.org registrants.

Rob Courtney
Policy Analyst
Center for Democracy & Technology
1634 Eye Street NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20006
202 637 9800
fax 202 637 0968
rob at cdt.org
http://www.cdt.org/

  --

Add your voice to the Internet policy debate!
   JOIN THE CDT ACTIVIST NETWORK!