[ncdnhc-discuss] Re: [ncdnhc-announce] ORG divestiturepolicy nears completion!

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Jan 6 03:26:44 CET 2002

>>> Don Heath <heath at isoc.org> 01/05/02 16:07 PM >>>
> My comment was based on the fact that VERY few non
> profit organizations are "controlled" by
> noncommercial .org registrants!

OK, this is just a misunderstanding. We may need to clarify the language, as you make a good point.

ISOC is an .org registrant and is (more or less)
noncommercial. The Ford Motor Co. may have an .org
registration or two, but they are not noncommercial.
That is simply the distinction we were trying to make.

More broadly, the intent of the policy is to require an
organization that bids for .org to gain support and
participation from a wide variety of noncommercial
.org registrants. ISOC, or ACM, or Hong Kong University, for example, might want to "lead" an application, but the policy is trying to tell them
that their bid will be stronger if a lot of other
organizations that are .org registrants, and individual .org registrants, line up in support
of their bid. Is that intent clear?

If you can propose a better wording I'll put it
in there.

>As for "some organization that is yet to be formed," no, this is a policy
>criterion we would like to be imposed on ANY organization. The new ORG
>administrator must be responsive to, representative of, and supportive of
>the noncommercial .org registrant community broadly. Surely you don't
>disagree with that?

As I point out, VERY few organizations can make the claim required by the
full statement!