[ncdnhc-discuss] New .org draft

KathrynKL at aol.com KathrynKL at aol.com
Sat Jan 5 01:36:42 CET 2002

<<Please note that the problem with "sponsored, unrestricted" was raised in
this forum long ago, and was ignored.>>

I see that we have returned -- in a personal and heated manner -- to the
question of whether .ORG should be a restricted or unrestricted gTLD.  We
have definitely focused on this issue, with discussion and debate.  It was
hardly ignored.

Among the things we discussed (fall), was:  The .ORG space is not
homogeneous, and it is not solely used by organizations.  .ORG has become the
default space for noncommercial speech in the gTLDs.  .COM and .NET are
commercial.  That means that everyone else seeks the refuge of .ORG.  This
includes organizations, political statements, educational groups, educational
statements, and websites of individuals and families.  It has become a
wonderful thing!

But our .ORG users are difficult to classify, and their speech and
communication sometimes blurs lines because commercial groups can have
noncommercial messages.  .ORG is a gem on the Net -- for individuals,
organizations, alliances, shared personal, political and religious beliefs,
unincorporated organizations, and ideas.   We discussed the deep concern that
.ORG, as a sponsored gTLD, excludes some noncommercial communication and
leaves it no place else to go.

An alternative:  keep .ORG as the robust place for ideas, organizations and
commentary that it has become.  Then, urge ICANN to create a new, sponsored
gTLD that can be limited to noncommercial organizations.

regards, kathy kleiman/acm-igp