[ncdnhc-discuss] early history of .ORG

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed Jan 2 02:48:58 CET 2002

At 11:09 PM 12/29/2001 -0500, Milton Mueller wrote:
>On 21:15 28/12/01, Dave Crocker said:
> >The choice of the com/net/org domain names came after lengthy community
> >discussion that basically failed to reach consensus about the particular
>
>And your point? Doesn't change the fact that Postel proposed .PUB and .COR
>and that these basic categories were later made into .ORG and .COM.

My point was that you were citing a Postel posting as if that were some
sort of landmark moment or as if the fact that Postel proposed something
was equivalent to delivery of an opinion on from high.  It was neither.

As with most such things decision-making was through group discussion and
evolution.

To the extent that you felt compelled to impose the historical tidbit onto
this group -- remember how much Barbara is burdened by extraneous postings?
-- the question really is what was YOUR point, Milton?

d/