[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN controlled by governments

James Love love at cptech.org
Thu Feb 28 14:12:22 CET 2002

Dear Dany,

Thank you for your note.  I can imagine that my suggestion that US
government control over ICANN has at least one obvious benefit over
multi-governemnt control over ICANN, and that concerns the issue of free
speech, protected more agressively in the USA than just about anywhere else,
as it relates for example to political expression.  And having used as an
example of contrary traditions the very recent French ruling in the Yahoo
case, I am please to hear from someone who rises to the defense of the
French court.

You asked for a "refined" notion of free speech, and I welcome speculation
on how this might play out in a world where the ICANN board and funding is
controlled by various governments around the world, as well as speculation
on ICANN future role in enforcing lots of other laws as well.

I do not think USA laws are in generally the best in the world, spend much
time in the USA complaining about various US laws, and much time in global
fora helping countries resist US trade policies on intellectual property
rights and other areas, and we certainly are appalled by various US regimes
on IPR, that often themselves limit speech.

We do, however, see the future of free speech on the Internet as a big big
deal, and are not at all ready to embrace the notion that every country's
notion of limits on that speech deserve to be enforced worldwide, including
for example the many examples of cross-border enforcement of various
national speech and IPR regimes.

I believe the "benefits" of US 1st amendment protections are more apparently
in repressive regimes like China or Egypt than they are in France.   I am
liking too of those countries, and people I know in those countries who
believe the Internet provides an import opportunity to exercise freedom to
speak and to read.

I can appreciate how some others may find hate speech and other similiar
things so repulsive that they are willing to live with a different system.
But we are reluctant to say the least in giving up the freedom we have now,
particularly given the range of national laws that one is facing.

 Jamie