[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN controlled by governments

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Feb 28 08:03:13 CET 2002

At 05:48 PM 2/27/2002 -0500, James Love wrote:
>If ICANN is controlled by the US government, everyone benefits from the US
>1st amendment, which is a strong protection for free speech.  If ICANN is
>controlled by governments in general, things will change.  Here is a recent
>French court decision regarding Yahoo

James, there are a number of different terms that describe the attitude you
demonstrate.

Arrogant and ignorant are two of them.  Bigoted is another.

Before offering such simplistic claims of American superiority, you need to
learn quite a bit more about other social modalities that are just as
legitimate as the American model; you need to learn to balance strengths
against weaknesses; and you need to respect the attitudes that those in
other countries have about the U.S.

I like our model, too, but personal preference is very different from
forcing that model down the throats of the entire world.

d/