[ncdnhc-discuss] A statement on the ICANN "reform" proposal

Rob Courtney rob at cdt.org
Tue Feb 26 18:56:27 CET 2002

At 9:27 AM -0800 2/26/02, Dave Crocker wrote:
>At 12:04 PM 2/26/2002 -0500, Rob Courtney wrote:
>>At 8:17 AM -0800 2/26/02, Dave Crocker wrote:
>>>At 10:15 AM 2/26/2002 -0500, Rob Courtney wrote:
>>
>>but the degree and type of that influence is something that those
>>who design ICANN have control over.
>
>Thank you.  Nicely said.  It highlights exactly what is missing in
>these sorts of exchanges:
>
>ICANN is not a design exercise.  It is tasked with ensuring
>continued operation of critical functions in Internet administration
>and operation.
>
>Yes, one can make a design that has, or omits, anything one wants.
>
>One cannot, however, make a successful ICANN that has a design that
>ignores that actual power of governments.
>
>Giving governments a purely advisory role will work only if the
>governments are willing to accept that role.  Here we have been
>seeing that they are not.
>
>Hence the goal is one of trying to find a balance that governments
>WILL accept.

I have not seen evidence that governments are forcing this. I do
think that governments, like the rest of us, are concerned by the
problems in ICANN's structure, but Lynn's proposal describes
something more like a quid pro quo: governments will be represented
on the Board; in turn they will agree to provide core funding to
ICANN.

(Informational note: The ALSC (and NAIS) have acknowledged that, at
least in the startup period, an open, inclusive At-Large Membership
would more likely be a significant expense to ICANN than a revenue
source.)

>>I think it is possible to describe, with clarity, every single one
>>of the things ICANN should be doing. As a strawman: ONLY those
>>items for which centralized control is NECESSARY to assure
>>interoperability, data integrity, the availability of the Whois,
>>etc.
>
>If one worries only about the narrowest of protocol issues, you are
>probably correct.
>
>However ICANN must worry about ensuring that the name and number
>administration service actually works in this real world we all
>inhabit.  A working system must deal with more than a small set of
>protocol standards.  It must deal with its operation in a larger
>context.
>
>Absence of a UDRP, for example, was in fact proving crippling.
>Hence the need for a mechanism that dealt with a core set of
>registration disputes.

I'm flexible. Dispute resolution could be built into the mission
(assuming that we define ICANN's role in creating a dispute
resolution structure quite narrowly). The key is not that the list
has to be short -- although I think the list could be quite short,
since the shorter the list, the narrower the mission -- but that the
list has to be well-defined.

P.S. I'll stop posting now because I want to make sure other people
have a chance to weigh in.

--

Rob Courtney
Policy Analyst
rob at cdt.org
http://www.cdt.org/

  --

Add your voice to the Internet policy debate!
    JOIN THE CDT ACTIVIST NETWORK!